Saturday, 25 July 2026

Being a Grey Nomad...

 Being a Grey Nomad...




Hi Readers,

A bit of a change for this post, just something different for a change.
Last week I decided to head north to Qld as one of our sons and his family have come back from Dubai for a few weeks as it is the end of the school year and they have a few weeks off. 
Coincidentally there is a bit of a war going on over there as we speak, so I much prefer having them safely here for the time being.

As I needed to keep myself occupied in the car from time to time I recorded a few short clips on my Go-Pro (Is that illegal???)

So, rather than reading my waffle, you can hear it instead! One disadvantage of the Go-Pro however is that it doesn't have a zoom function, so there are times when I'm trying to show you some great scenery, but all you get is the long distance view. Sorry about that!!

Now I'm also not sure about the quality of the clips as I had trouble uploading and converting them to files that this site accepts.

I hope they are in order, but as I've started to go down this path a bit more, hopefully I'll get better at recording things.
















Well Readers, or Listeners I should say, make what you want of that.
I did say that I left at 11:00 am on Tuesday morning and was planning on sleeping in the van at a truckstop somewhere along the freeway. 
However, I got to Sydney and was feeling good, so decided to push on for a few hours and perhaps pull up stumps at Goulburn. It was about 10:00pm when I hit Goulburn and I was still feeling fresh, so decided to push on a bit further. A few hours later I was in Albury, and as it was only another 3 hours to get home I just decided to get it over and done with.
This was good along the freeway, but for the last 2 hours I was on single lane country roads, and a very thick fog had come down. This made it hard and slowed me down, but I persevered and eventually got home to Bendigo at 5:30 am on Weds morning. That last 40 mins was hard though.

After putting the van away I had two choices.
1. Go to Bed.
2. Stay up.

I took option number 2 and for the rest of the day just kept busy and didn't sit down because I knew I'd nod off immediately. Let's just say it was a slow day and I had very little trouble getting to sleep on Weds night!!!
And it wasn't just Weds that saw me being tired, it really sucked the life out of me for the past two days. Not sure if I'll drive all the way through again, it's pretty hard work.

So I now have a few appointments in the coming week as a lead up to a shoulder op I'm having, but before that I have a long awaited Boarding School Reunion to attend that I'd organised. It has been 45 years since we all left Assumption College in Kilmore, but so many of us have stayed in touch, particularly since we have lost three of our group in recent years. Next weekend will be just great and I can't wait to see such good friends again.

I'll be heading north again in the coming weeks before our son and the family move back to Dubai, so hopefully I'll get my filming skills up to scratch.

Until my next post,

Cheers 😁






















No comments:

Post a Comment